Florida is tied with New York as the third largest state by population in the U.S. Additionally, Florida is a swing state. This website will cover and report news on the Bill Nelson (D) and Rick Scott (R) U.S. Senate race.
Lets take a walk down memory lane and review the race for Governor of Florida in 1994. In 1994, incumbent Governor Lawton Chiles (D) was seeking a second term against Jeb Bush (R), the challenger. The race was too close to call. Many people believed that an important debate between Mr. Chiles and Mr. Bush would decide the outcome of this race in 1994.
As the televised statewide debate neared an end, Jeb used the common political attack against a Democrat by referring to Lawton Chiles as a liberal and used the liberal implication with several different variations. The debate moderator then turned to Mr. Chiles and stated that he had one final moment for a final word. Mr. Chiles looked directly into the camera and said: ” Remember, the old he-coon walks just before the light of day.”
The debate concluded with a stunned silence and Jeb stood there and looked totally confused. People were saying: ” What did Governor Chiles just say? What does it mean? ”
Using the Florida “Cracker dialect,” Governor Chiles just said that the male raccoon makes its final nightly walk just before the sun rises. In a section of Northwest Florida about 200 miles long and 50 to 100 miles wide known as the Florida Panhandle, everyone knew exactly what Mr. Chiles said. More importantly, Mr. Chiles was saying to a rural conservative section of Florida : ” I am one of you. ” Chiles defeated Jeb with 50.8% to 49.2%. A very close race.
I feel absolutely certain that the Bill Nelson- Rick Scott debate will decide the Senate election and will be watched throughout Florida. Therefore, I respectfully propose that many of these questions be used so the citizens of Florida will gain some useful information from the debate and can cast informed votes.
1) Through September, 2018, how much money has been contributed to your campaign? 2) Through this date, how much was contributed by PACs? 3) Name the five PACs that have contributed the most to you. 4) Has your campaign received PAC money from: a) Boeing, b) Northrup Gruman , c)General Dynamics, d) Raytheon or any other major defense contractors?
5) With the National Debt now at $21.3 Trillion, what should congress do relating to this debt level? 6) What, if anything, should congress do to modernize or restructure the Federal Reserve System?
7) The cash flow of the U.S. Social Security system is now negative. What should congress do to address this issue?
8) Do you believe that Federal Judges should be appointed for life?
9) Please discuss currency manipulation by foreign countries to gain trade advantages against the U.S. and explain how congress should address this issue.
R. Van Conoley